Georgian Nordic Outdoor Activity Centre (GNOAC) has launched a 3-year capital campaign to support improving its facilities and trails! Founded in 1984, community support and use of the trails has grown immensely to include activities in all seasons. The Board has a plan for capital improvements, estimated at $1 Million but with promising support of provincial and federal grants, and a $150,000 gift of a generous anonymous donor, the Future Fund will hopefully only need to raise $200,000.
You can help us reach our goal.
What is the Project?
A New Pavilion
To accommodate the overflow of people at our club, we are building a new 1,200 sq. ft. picnic shelter, with 2 permanent and 2 seasonally encloseable walls, with solar-thermal in-floor heating and a wood stove. This structure will be unlocked for year-round public access, providing tables for seating, and overflow space for youth, school groups, and events. It will require an updated septic system sized for the property.
A New Garage
We are excited about a new 1,040 sq. ft. heated garage, with a 480 sq. ft. drive shed to provide secured storage space for grooming equipment. The enhanced security and enclosed space will extend the life of our grooming equipment. It will include mezzanine storage, and provide overflow capacity for large events.
The current garage will be repurposed as the main office and for equipment rentals.
Year-round Trail Enhancement
We need equipment (i.e. tractor, side by side, wood chipper, mini-excavator), materials (culverts, fill) and trail work (ditching, grading, and fill) that can allow us to improve ditching to allow trails to remove water more efficiently and be groomed sooner with less snow and/or after wild temperature fluctuations.
The 2024 season will open new trails on our new property – a truly special piece of land with great hills, views, and forests. A Performance Trail loop in this area will provide all users with clean and well-graded ski lines but also allow us to host ski events without blocking recreational trails. We will also enhance hiking, biking, snowshoeing and fat-biking trails which has seen solid growth in the past 8 years.
The facilities development will also allow us to purchase grooming equipment that can allow us to till and work the snow providing the ability to reset tracks through ice and in more challenging snow conditions than our current grooming equipment allows.
Why is this Project Needed Now?
In the past 5 years, the club has grown significantly & improvements are needed. An outdoor pavilion with new septic system, garage, and trail maintenance capacity will help to:
- Provide a better user experience of facilities.
- Accommodate school groups, team races, and community events, year-round.
- Maintain trails with better trail bed and drainage systems.
- Adapt to the impacts of climate change (heavy precipitation & temperature swings).
- Provide dedicated space for storage and maintenance of expensive trail equipment.
Ways to Help
- Make a donation! All donations over $20 receive a charitable tax receipt, thank you!
- We also welcome in-kind donations of materials (sand, gravel, culverts) & equipment operator time. Please contact our president, Greg, to discuss this opportunity.
- Spread the word about the Future Fund campaign! Download our campaign flyer to share with your networks and help us meet our goals for the future!